Thursday, October 1, 2009

The City of Angels- or LA LA Land- or Walking in LA

The trip to LA was uneventful. I flew via Detriot and I was so tired by the time I got on the plane I passed out for the whole ride. For me, this is unusual. I don't sleep much when I'm traveling because it's so damn EXCITING! I'm on a plane/train/automobile and going somewhere and and (this is usually when I start bouncing in my seat a little).

I'm not really used to making connections on flights and I forgot how stressful it can be. I made the connection with a few minutes to spare, but not enough to get myself a good meal along the way. Or even a crappy meal- so I was forced to buy something on the plane. I got the fruit and cheese plate- couldn't bring myself to shell out for a sandwich. It was surprisingly good, a variety of cheeses that didn't include marble cheddar, but Brie and a Weslydale and Gouda and some quite nice crackers. But not that satisfying.

By the time I arrived at LAX I was starving, my "boss" for the week was about an hour behind me, and for some reason I thought oh I'd better get to her gate as soon as possible, surely there will be some food near there. So I walked by the variety of food places and on I went. Only to arrive at her gate and find a Starbucks. I am not a sweet person (right mum?!) so being shown the option between lemon cake, cookies and biscotti I'll choose- none of them. I was able to buy some really overpriced almonds and a bottle of water. Dinner-fail.

Once I picked up Boss Lady (BL) we went to the hotel at the airport and had some room service. I'm not sure what it is about California that makes me crave hamburgers. Everytime I've been there, and the last time was in my early teens, i don't think I ate anything BUT hamburgers (and pineapple DoleWhip) the whole time I was there- including breakfast. This time I managed to branch out a little and eat more than just hamburgers the whole time. Yay me!

The week was a bit of a whirlwind BL was just in the process of renting an apartment in Beverly Hills (90210) so we spent a fair bit of time going to various places, Ikea mainly, and other stores to get everything set up for her. There was a lot of putting together Ikea furniture on my part. It wasn't all that bad, but I will say this: If you are a coffee drinker, do not try to assemble Ikea furniture before you have your morning coffee. Nothing good will come of it. NOTHING.

There were some outings to meet with people in "the industry" that BL had to meet with. I was in on one of those meetings, interesting stuff.

I did get to have a tasty breakfast at a little breakfast place near BL's apartment. Although I was disconcerted to find that they chopped up my asparagus on my eggless Benny. I can't say I'm really that keen on chopped up asparagus, I like a full stalk to nibble.

On the Friday I was starting to get a bit tired, I had some of the afternoon off and went down to one of the MoCA buildings that was nearby. There was only one installation on at that time, but it was really interesting and I was glad to see a little bit of the arts when I was there.

Then I headed up to Hollywood Blvd, as I was on a mission to go to Hot Topic and pick up a couple of t-shirts for my friend's teen monster. It was VERY hot out and I wasn't super keen on being up around such a touristy part of town- but I did manage to find the t-shirts and pick up a few stupid fridge ornaments. From there I decided to walk back to Beverly Hills- I KNOW- walkig in LA! THE HUMANITY.

But I did and I spent the next two hours trudging back to the apartment. I found it to be rather nice and I did pass by some really interesting homes. Plus it was nice to get out and walk after a week of being mostly driven everywhere.

Some of the highlights:

Seeing Spider Man just casually walking down the street.
The big smoke cloud over Burbank as the hills were burning (in a train wreck sort of way)
After a week of intense Toronto humidity, the dry dry super hot heat.
Being on the same time zone as le famille.
HAMBURGERS!
Getting to know BL much better, and her impression of going to DisneyLand made me almost pee.



It was a really intersting experience and I think it was a great break in the summer to get out of the city a bit. I wish I had been able to get down to the Ocean to see it, I don't like to miss a chance at that.

And I do think it's true about what they say- you are either a New York person or a LA person. I am the former, there is no question about that at all. LA is fine to visit, but in no way could I live there. I once had a conversation about this with Janos when comparing Toronto and Vancouver. I think it's somewhat similar- Toronto is a very much east coast/seaboard type of city, where Vancouver is very west coast. I am a Toronto person, gosh my heart just about bursts everytime I see the CN Tower, I can't get enough of this city. It's second only to NYC I think. There are such beautiful places in the world to see, and I am sure that many of them will capture me as well. But for now, Toronto is where I hang my hat.

It reminds of that song- All my exes live in Texas. And that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee.

Indeed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are a sick person! guess who this is from?