Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's my hood

Last night I was feeling a bit bored. So I texted (I'm not a big "caller") one of my neighbours/friends that I hadn't seen since I got back and we arranged to meet for Pho up in the Junction. We had a great time getting caught up and with a bit of dawdling outside and promises to go out dancing (and I WILL hold you to that!) she scooted off and I began walking home.

On my way home through the slightly cool air I saw people out walking their dogs, strolling down the sidewalk, biking in the bikelanes, and a group of kids playing late night basketball in one of the schools.

I cannot think of one instance I have ever felt unsafe in Toronto, "The City of Neighbourhoods" even in my darkest moments of despair I can always think about where I live and it puts a smile on my face.

So let me tell you about where I live.

I live directly in between Bloor West Village and "The Junction" (the area between Runnymede and Keele on Dundas West). The street I live on in a semi-main artery cross town, but it's quiet enough that I can lay in bed at night and listen to the wind or the rain, or the stillness of the stars burning in the sky.

On my corner there is an organic butcher, a chinese restaurant, 2 corner stores, an organic pizza shop, a greasy spoon, a hardware store, a weird small church, a wine maker shop, a laundromat, an eyeglass shop, and a few other private businesses. For the amount of business this is a quiet corner. When you look down the street in the summer, you can't see for leafy trees covering the street.

I never understood why we needed so many convenience stores (when I moved here there were 3- 1 has since closed down) but I quickly realized, you only walk as far as your own corner. Terribly convenient.

Ten minutes in either direction (north or south) are the Village and Junction, with a greater variety of shops and services.

This is a neighbourhood where people walk by you on the street and say hello, they smile at you. If you are struggling with something, they will help you. It's safe, I've been known to leave my bike out- unlocked- with no repercussions.  People gather on their front porches and in their backyards.

I've never grown up with a sense of community or neighbourhood until I moved here. People know my name, they look out for me. They know what I like to have on my hamburger and how I take my coffee. In turn I try to frequent their businesses and tell others about what great services they provide. We look out for each other. It's how I imagine living in a small town would be, but better.

When I was younger and couldn't sleep my Dad and I used to go for neighbourhood walks at night- the thing with moving out to the country is that people are VERY interested in their privacy and deeply suspicious of those who appear too friendly. Living in a big city with limited private space (and don't get me wrong, I have way more than most people where I live) has taught me about what it means to be a good neighbour.

Being a good neighbour means minding your own business, but being aware enough of others to be of service. If I didn't hear the girl upstairs for a day, I would go up and knock and make sure she's ok. I know she would do the same for me as well. It's about anonimity and security all wrapped up together.

It's what I think heaven is like. The more I spent time in this neighbourhood, the more connections I make, the happier I am. I'm living in the greatest city in Canada and I can sit in the silence of my backyard gazing up at the trees and it feel the quiet around me.

It's lovely and I recommend it.

1 comment:

B. Smith said...

Completely agree! T.O. rules!!! :-)