Friday, November 27, 2009

Insomnia

It is almost 3.30am, and I am awake. This week I've actually been waking up at 3.30am most nights, tonight I changed it up a little and woke up at 2.30. There isn't any rhyme or reason to it, Monday night I went to bed at 9pm, so that could have been part of it, but the other nights it's been a somewhat "normal" bedtime for me.


Which got me thinking about bed and sleeping, I love sleeping. Getting under the covers is probably the highlight of my day these days. I feel like I'm just killing time until I can get back into bed. This might not be a positive? But it feels pretty good to me. These days I go to bed on the early side, I'm usually in bed and asleep before 11pm. And except on gym days I rarely get out of bed before 8/8.30. I'm trying to put a finger on when this shift occurred and I all of a sudden needed over 9 hours of sleep to feel ok with life.

It could have been after quitting the second job, as I was so deprived of sleeping for over a year that maybe 1.5 years on I'm still playing catch up?

What I'd like is to be able to bounce out of bed in the morning and have time to do things before I have to begin daily drudgery at "job". Although I guess b/c "job" is pretty heinous right now I'm avoiding getting out of bed? The only thing that really EVER makes me bounce out of bed is travel. Which is why I need to be constantly planning a trip somewhere and have that tantalizing brass ring getting me out of bed.

In fact I haven't actually spent a day IN bed lately. Could it be this Sunday is a "duvet day"? I'm pretty sure I don't have anything planned and I know I'll be east end for dinner on Sat. night. This almost always means I have to take the "vomit comet" home to my side of the city. (the subways stop at about 1am on Saturday and those unlucky enough to not make it are subjected to riding the allnight bus that runs across town (in my case) on Bloor St West.) It takes a LONG time, but it's always an entertaining ride.

So, perhaps I will take Sunday and stay in bed and read. The problem with my nook is that there is no window-so I usually take to the couch and read. But this leads to me tidying up.

Anyway- I'm still awake and we are approaching the 4 hour. FUN. Such a weird time to wake up, not late enough in the morning to just get up and go to the gym or something, and not early enough to be up for a bit without feeling like crap the next day.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Pili said...

Did you know that in Chinese medicine, each two hour window of the 24-hour clock is associated with an organ? 3:30am is lungs, so maybe your lungs aren't very happy?

http://www.acupuncture-services.com/basic-theory/chinese-medicine-diagnosis/chinese-medicine-body-clock.php