Friday, November 27, 2009

King Tut @ the AGO

Tomorrow morning I have a ticket to get in bright and early and see the King Tut exhibit at the AGO! I've decided to start up an art blog so my first post will be impressions and discussions of the exhibit. Things that are running through my mind already: the ethics of a "funerary exhibit" how do we get around essentially pillaging someone's burial tomb for our enjoyment. This, coupled with the fact that these people whom we are viewing are now esssentially enjoying "immortality".

So- things to think about, plus there will be a bit of background about Tutankahmen (who really wasn't the most interesting of Pharoh's) and what I thought of the layout of the exhibit and my experience as a shmoe walking through it.

I won't be going whole hog and getting the audio tour, I'm too impatient for all that stuff, plus I've studied this so much that a lot will come back with just reading the descriptions.

This will be my 3rd major Egyptian Exhibit in the past few years. The first was the British Museum's Exhibit at the Royal BC Museum. That was a great exhibit because I had just finished a course in Egyptian Art where our main text was the British Museum's Collection, many of the things I had studied all semester/summer were on display for me.

When Dad was here, he and I went and saw the Book of the Dead at the ROM along with the accompanying exhibit. That was great!

And tomorrow King Tut! This is the first time the exhibit has been back in Canada in over 30 years and it's only Canadian Stop so I'm really excited that I'll be able to participate.

Once I have my blog post up I'll link to the new site.

TFIF!!!

No comments: