Thursday, December 9, 2010

Community

Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

Maybe that means that this is an important topic for me? I think in 2010 I reaffirmed my communities. Spending the first 3 months in Australia really reaffirmed for me that Canada, specifically Toronto, is where I need to be in my life and that is where I am happiest. I always rave and rave about this little neigbourhood I live in (probably because it's the best neighbourhood ever!!), but when I'm out and about I get a real sense of connection to the people around me, that we look out for each other. I know my upstairs neighbour really well- I'd definitely ask for sugar if I needed it. In fact, I have! 
Online, I've started using Twitter a bit more, and reading some new blogs which seem to mingle a bit. I "tweeted" to one writer of a blog I admire about her help in something and she replied! I felt very warm and fuzzy. And our recent ex-mayor @iamdavidmiller replied to a tweet and said hello to the ocean for me!! (seriously I loved our old mayor. I would see him in the subway and have to fight the urge to go up and hug him). 
Another blog I read recently posted an article on how to deal with the death of an ex- which is a timely topic, that I have been dealing with and not many people can understand. We had a little chat about it on her website and it was so helpful. 
I have great friends here in Toronto, who I try to see on a regular basis. The only time I really can sometimes feel a bit lonely is Sunday mornings. I think I'd like, in my heart, for that to be family time- where I could meet up with my parents for brunch and talk about the week. But time differences mean I can't call them when I wake up (I've already forgotten about it and called VERY early a few times- yes I am one of THOSE Ontario people now- go me!!!). So my good friend suggested I find a walking group on Sunday mornings? Which I think is a great idea!
Another good friend of mine will be moving to Toronto in the New Year, so my Toronto family is expanding and thus my sense of community. 

I also briefly worked up in the Junction, and got to know a few people there and frequent the shops there more. I'd like to do more of that in 2011. Meet more people- as always. I think the colours of life is in the people we weave into fabric.

No comments: