Friday, December 31, 2010

New Name

New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

It would be Baroness Michelle Darlington, obviously! Why? Because I think I'm all classy and aristocratic (but realistic enough to only lust after a barony not a duchy) and Darling or Darlington would probably be the only names I'd trade my last name up for. Part of me thinks when you get married you should become a family unit and have one name. But what if that person you marry has a crappy name? I don't want to trade down in my name. I love my name. I have never really had any adverse feelings towards my name.

It's a bit of a funny name, mostly french with a good english kick in the backside. But my middle name is after my great grandmother, and I'm proud of that. Even though she passed when I was too young to remember her. And despite the teasing I received as a child about my name, I know that even if you were named Ann or Sally, you'd still get teased, kids are assholes.

So there you go. And don't forget to curtsey when we meet.

No comments: