Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dec 12- Unexpected Passion

Unexpected Passion:  What new hobby or interest piqued your passion this year?  Or did you think about an old passion in a new way?

Truthfully, not a lot really piqued my passion this year and I felt its absence.  I gave a speech at a wedding last month for a dear dear friend who is one of these people who does live life with passion and creativity. 

When I was thinking about the speech and her I realized that I wanted to speak to that and not just give a compilation of antidotes from our years of friendship. Because I think it is amazing that someone can live such a creative life.  It takes a huge amount of effort and being open to a lack of stability, I wonder if I could ever make such a leap. 

I am very academic, I like to see things through the lens of hows and whys. I am not much of a doer, but perhaps my need to know the hows and the whys of being creative is because I'm searching to a be a who. One who is creative. 

This year I realized that not having a passion, or an outlet for my creativity makes me kind of bored with myself. That half thought/half dreamt ideas that emerge when I'm almost asleep are not enough to keep me going. 

I need to take those ideas and make them real. That stories can be for more than just entertaining Murray (my very adventurous bathroom spider) while I'm showering. I CAN be creative, I know I am somewhere in there. 

I don't think I'll ever live a fully creative life like my friend; I don't have her strength, but I can inject some passion back into my life.