Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dec 8- Art

Art: What was the most moving piece of art that you saw/experienced this year?  This could mean a painting or a sculpture, or a performance you took in, or even a book that you read – tell us about the kind of art you encountered, and the way that it moved you.

The fact that it's taking me a while to think about this leads me to feel like I didn't see enough Art this year. I used to spend years immersed in art, that was all I would think about. 

Now my profession (dare I even say a career?) is something so far from the creative world that I realize I'm going to have to make much more of an effort to inject creativity and art into my life. 

What I saw this year that really moved me was the Petroglyph's found in Volcano National Park. We had to walk out for a mile in a barren landscape to the area where the petroglyph's were. These were carved by the ancient Hawaiians, part of the tradition was to carve little round holes where mothers would put the umbilical cord of their children, for protection and to ground them to the earth. 

It reminded me that people of all time want to be remembered, to make their mark in the world, and that we can view history through something more than the wars and the battles that were fought, to view it through the creative forces not the destructive ones. 

I need a lot more art in my life, this year I want to change that, and I want to change my relationship to art, from being a detached observer to active participant.