Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec 23- Appreciate

Appreciate:  For what did you find a new appreciation this year?

This is pretty menial, but I found an appreciation for Sadza
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadza

I have been a long time fan of injera (holla to spending lunches at trafford out on cook st picking up ethiopian food!) which is a spongy flat bread thicker than a crepe that is both food and utensil. It's got a slightly sour taste to it that I love. If made properly, with teff, it's gluten free.

But this isn't about injera, it's about sadza which is totally different. The same in that it's also a food and utensil, but it is made with white cornmeal and looks like mashed potatoes on your plate.

The first time I had it I have to admit I was kind of creeped out, probably because the sadza got burned in the pot a little, not that we ate the burned part. And cleaning out a sadza pot is a LOT like cleaning out a poach[ed egg] pot (something I had to do every Sunday at the diner I worked at in throughout highschool.).

It also gave me a wicked stomach ache the first time I had it, I think because the more you eat it you like it "harder" which means, I think, slightly less cooked. But then the HB made it soft (like what you would give babies) and I think we got a different type of hufu (cornmeal) and I have to say I'm really coming to like it.  Instead of wrapping your sadza around the food, you sort of dip it and grab it.

My next step is to learn how to make it for the HB, because it's his home food and I want to be able to cook his comfort for him. And hey, he learned how to cook a turkey this year so I think i can pony up.