Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec 24- Change of heart

Change of heart:  Did you have a change of heart about something or someone in your life this year?  What or who was it?  Why?

There is someone I have known since I was in the 2nd grade, but a couple of years ago we had a falling out. I don't think anyone was to blame, it was just time- we were different and going in different ways.

I wasn't sure if we would talk again, or what would happen, but it was pretty clear we needed a break from each other. So it surprised me that as it got closer to the wedding I wanted to talk to her. Generally I wanted to find out how she was doing, but I also didn't want her to find out about my getting married via a second hand source, I just didn't feel like I could do that to her.

So I took the leap and contacted her. And after the time and the distance it was easier to see how the situation unfolded a couple of years ago was a product of the both of us, and not one of us.  And to look at my own actions in a less justified way.

It wasn't a movie-esque reunion we were/ are probably still wary of each other. It's never going to be what it was before, but I'm glad we're talking now, I'm glad I got to see her and catch up in person this year.  I'm glad that link was pulled thin, but didn't break.

I'm happy we are moving into an adult friendship and I'm happy that I stepped away from my pride and took the first step after all this time.