Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec 25- Traditions

Traditions:  Do you follow old traditions or do you work to create new traditions?  What role has tradition played in your life over the past year?  Are there traditions you hope to create or embrace in 2013?

I'm not sure if I'm so much about tradition as I am about routine. I like my tea in my tea mug, and my week day coffee in the cream mug with the blue stripe and my weekend coffee in the orange flowered mug. I don't do well with shaking things up. Especially around my coffee. I take my coffee black, I do not take it flavoured and I don't take anything in it. The HB once (just once, he's good like that) tried to surprise me with a spiked coffee, it didn't go over very well.

So, in some ways I can be quite inflexible in my routine, but I don't really do things because "it's tradition" although I would LIKE to watch White Christmas every year and make that a tradition, it's maybe not possible. (and the fact that I watch it all throughout the year makes that ok)

I guess the wedding was a tradition that I participated in. And we did a lot of traditional things- HAVING the wedding the utmost of that. But also the being walked down the aisle. Not something I wanted to do, but in the eyes of my father an important tradition that he needed for that day, cutting the cake (but a cake made of CHEESE- and yes it was as awesome as it sounds), the morning after brunch, speeches, the first dance. We tried to fit these traditions into who we were. I had a father daughter dance, but I also had a mother daughter dance, and that was equally important and special to me.

A great tradition I do want to continue into 2013 is making the winter holidays as relaxing as possible. Days spent in pjs, doing very little, maybe a walk here and there, not worrying about a big fancy dinner because it's what is supposed to be done.

And I'm sure once we have little spykings and spyqueens running around tradition will take on a whole other meaning.

I'm open.